Thursday, November 6, 2008

Remembering the little things

I have committed this week to keeping my list of things I am thankful for simple and small. I looked back on my blogs and thought my goodness, they are so serious. No doubt, the Lord has been teaching me a lot lately, and I am thankful for all the lessons. I just don't want to forget the little things along the way too. So, here is my list of little things that have made my week bright, or brighter anyway.
1. A membership to Costco. What huge savings for our little budget. The only drawback, things at Costco are amazingly large. Something happens to your eyes while you are in that store. I think because everything is so huge you lose perspective. I bought a jar of vitamins and sure I knew it was big, I got it home and found out it was enormous. It looks absolutely ridiculous on my nightstand, it is almost as big as my lamp. But, a six month supply of "Nature Made" multi-vitamin for $10 can not be beat.
2. Afternoons spent by the fireplace, in my livingroom, crocheting, Jadon playing quietly, Brian reading aloud "Abounding Grace" by John Bunyan, our dog "Buddy" snoring at my feet, our cat "Monkey" curled up next to me on the couch, and snow softly falling out the window. Aaaahhhhh! Can life get any better than that? I submit that it can not. ;]
3. Watching Jadon play in his "hiding place" he made in our living room behind some furniture. Is it a good thing when your child pretends he is hiding Jews from the Nazis during the holocaust? I think it is. Would it be horrible for him to pattern his life after the Ten Booms? Absolutely not! I love that kid. I pray he always keeps his tender heart towards the things of the Lord.
4. Free tickets to the ISU basketball games. My mom is so nice to always make sure we are hooked up. I LOVE BASKETBALL, I really do and our men and woman's teams are awesome. Brian, Jadon, my dad and I are going to a double header tomorrow and I am thrilled.
5. Being able to celebrate my mom and dad's 34th wedding anniversary tomorrow with them. 34 years, it is so awesome to see their level of commitment not just to each other but to the Lord. They are an awesome example of never throwing in the towel no matter what life may throw at you. Through everything they have been committed to knowing that they could never make it through on their own but with God all things are possible. May the Lord bless them with much happiness, love, peace, and joy for many more years to come.
6. Having lunch last Friday with Luke, Mark, and Kirk. It was so fun to catch up with all of them. We got used to seeing them every week or at least almost every week, lately we only see them maybe once a month. I miss them and all their silliness. They make me laugh. It is such a blessing to have friends like them.
7. The elections being over. No matter what side you were/are on I think we are all breathing a sigh of relief that it is over, I know I am.
8. My sister, brother-in-love, and nephew's house coming along so nicely. It is looking gorgeous and is coming together quite quickly. It is an awesome blessing to think that in just 16 weeks or so my "seester", Landon, and little nephew will be living next door. Prediction: I see a lot more fake bugs and reptiles in my bed's future. If nothing else the little scares each night will make my old ticker stronger.
9. Being able to reconnect with an old friend this weekend. I needed to apologize for being a spoiled little brat about 10 years ago to a dear friend that didn't deserve to be treated as I treated her. I had been praying for the opportunity to apologize. I no longer had any way to get in contact with her. The Lord was faithful to provide that at Costco on Saturday. (Costco by the way is the place to see and be seen. We ran into at least 14 people we knew there, three hours later we left the store) ;] She, of course, was gracious and forgave me.
10. Peace, which really isn't a little thing, but something I take quite for granted. My life and the world around me is more chaotic then it has ever been before. Yet, I am more at peace than ever before. I almost feel weird walking around with a huge smile on my face and a song in my heart. But, why should it be any other way, I am the daughter of the King of kings and Lord of lords. He has promised to see me through whatever I face. He will never leave me or forsake me. I have the hope of His return for His Bride. And, if I am to see death in this life, the minute I breathe my last breathe I am in the presence of the most loving and gracious Lord and Savior. What joy! What peace! What life!

No comments:

Post a Comment